Dumbbells are the most accessible free weights, so they are the first thing most people try, whether in the gym or at home. They are also among the most adaptable weights available.
Dumbbells can provide an excellent full-body workout. Numerous dumbbell movements can be performed for each body part. Some barbell movements can also be easily adapted and tweaked slightly to be performed with dumbbells. There are various reasons why you should make time for dumbbell exercises.
So, if you have a pair of dumbbells at home or you are ready to start exercising, the dumbbell workout apps listed below should get you started. Also, note that not all of these apps are solely dedicated to dumbbell workouts. Some of the apps include additional equipment, but we had to include them because they are so good and packed with some awesome features required for dumbbell workouts. Choose the best one for you, your body type, and, of course, your desired fitness goals.
Functional, full-body strength for your legs, back, chest, abs, shoulders, and arms.
Best Dumbbell Workout Apps To Build Muscle Strength
1. Workout Plan & Gym Log Tracker (JEFIT)
JEFIT, the most popular workout tracking, and planner app offer a free fitness program database to help you stay fit, make progress, and get the most out of your gym or home fitness sessions.
There are various workout plans available for beginners to advanced levels, and you can also choose based on your experience and current fitness level.
Though the app may appear complicated to beginners, its user interface is very efficient, and you can easily filter exercises that use a dumbbell, barbell, or other types of equipment.
- Workout plans are available for beginners to advanced levels.
- Detailed exercise instructions & animations.
- Exercises can be filtered based on the type of equipment required.
- You can set goals and track your workouts.
- Body measurement system.
- Video tutorials are only available in the premium version.
- For beginners, there are a lot of features to become familiar with.
2. LifeBuddy – Dumbbell Workout
LifeBuddy – Dumbbell Workout app is ideal for beginners because it includes short but detailed video tutorials.
This app includes workouts that cover all major muscle groups like Chest, Biceps, Abs, Triceps, Shoulders, Back, Legs, etc. Simply, choose one of the categories and get started. Dumbbells are used in the majority of the workouts featured in this app.
You can even shuffle a completely new set of exercises and change your workout routine every few weeks or months.
The best thing about this app is that all of these features mentioned are also available when you are offline.
- Simple & Beginners Friendly UI with easy access navigation.
- Short but detailed video tutorials.
- Offline Mode is available.
- Wide range of workouts.
- Workout reminder.
- You cannot set any workout end goals like Weight Loss or Muscle Gain.
- You cannot create a custom workout.
3. Home Workouts With Dumbbells
Home Workouts With Dumbbells app provides a variety of dumbbell exercises for various muscle groups, including the chest, arms, shoulders, back, and legs. All of the workouts are dumbbell-specific and ideal for a full-body workout at home.
This app uses animated graphics along with descriptions to guide you through your workout.
You can also create your own custom workout from specific exercises and settings and in addition, get motivated as this app features points, new achievements, and a levels system.
- Simple and ideal for beginners.
- Guide you through your workout with detailed animations.
- Ability to create your own custom workout from specific exercises and settings.
- Points, New Achievements, and Levels system which keeps you motivated.
- Workout reminder notifications.
- Basic UI and lacks smoothness.
- No Daily/Weekly summaries of your workout progress.
- Video tutorials aren’t available.
4. Dumbbell Training: Exercises and Weight Routines
If you are a beginner with a specific goal in mind, this Dumbbell Training app will be extremely beneficial. Though they are not tailored to you, it has a wide range of workout plans, to begin with.
All of the workout routines featured in this app include dumbbell exercises, and you can use the included plans to lose weight or gain muscle mass. You can also make your weekly plans by combining the available exercises.
If you’ve just started working out, you’ll feel at ease using this app because it includes embedded YouTube videos to help you learn the exercises.
Furthermore, it offers some nutritional plans if you want to stick to the diet, but I was not entirely satisfied with this app’s features.
- Plenty of free workout plans.
- Ease of use for beginners.
- Embedded YouTube videos to guide you through various workouts.
- It’s easy to use but its UI is not much appealing.
- You cannot track your workouts and progress.
5. Gym WP – Workout Routines
Gym WP is a complete fitness app rather than a dedicated dumbbell workout app. However, you can view or filter all of the exercises that you can do with dumbbells and as per muscle groups.
Gym WP is one of the best apps for full-body workouts. It provides exclusive training for all levels, including Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced.
You can also select your favorite workout and modify it to meet your specific needs. It includes exercises for Muscle Gain, Muscle Definition, and Weight Loss.
This app has over 500 bodybuilding exercises to help you get in shape. The best part about this app is that it gives you step-by-step instructions on how to complete the exercise. It uses animation in the form of a video tutorial to help you to carry out the exercise more effectively.
You can monitor muscle soreness, control your weight and other body measurements, calculate your BMI and body fat percentage, find your ideal weight, compare workouts, view your workout history, and much more with Gym WP.
- Simple & Clean UI.
- Custom workout plans.
- Over 500 bodybuilding exercises.
- Detailed workout instructions using animation.
- Body fat and BMI calculators.
- Compare workouts.
- Muscle Fatigue Monitor.
- View workout history.
- Lots of features may create confusion.
- No dedicated dumbbell workout plans.
- No video tutorials are available.
- Most of the workout plans are paid.
6. Dumbbell Workout At Home
Dumbbell Workout at Home app includes dumbbell workouts to help you build muscle and strength while getting your desired body shape at home or gym. This app offers 30-day workout plans for both men and women, with 3 difficulty levels, making it suitable for beginners, intermediates, and experts.
This app, like your personal workout trainer, provides you with 3D animations to ensure that you are working out correctly. Simply, adjust the speed, rounds, and 3D coach character to your liking and begin working out in your comfort at home.
You can also design your workout plan based on your goal, gender, fitness level, focus area, and other factors.
The best part about this app is that it allows you to track your weight loss progress, and calories burned, calculate and record your BMI, and sync your data with Google Fit. This app also provides a workout reminder to help you stick to your daily workout routine.
- Dedicated dumbbell workout plans.
- You can create your own custom workout plan.
- Workout instructions with 3D animation.
- Sync your data with Google Fit.
- Track your weight progress, and calories burned, and calculate your BMI.
- Workout reminder to make the workout a daily habit.
- Real human video instructions/tutorials are not available.
- Lots of features may create confusion.
7. Dumbbell Home Workout
Dumbbell Home Workout app is simple to use and has a straightforward interface.
You can select from 4 training options: Beginner, Weight-Loss, Full-Body & Total Split, and also change the weight of the dumbbell, the number of reps in a set, the rest time between each set, and exercise.
You can also create your custom workout and track your progress. However, you have to make a one-time payment to get this feature.
- 4 Training Options: Beginner, Weight-Loss, Full-Body & Total Split.
- You can change the weight of the dumbbell, the number of reps in a set, and the rest time.
- The free version has limited customization features.
- Not a great UI.
- Only animation videos of exercises are available. No real human exercise videos.
8. Dumbbell Workouts – Bodybuilding At Home
This Dumbbell Workouts app includes a variety of full-body exercises, each focusing on different muscle groups. You can find chest workouts, bicep workouts, tricep workouts, back exercises, and other different exercises for arm muscles, shoulder muscles, and leg muscles. Dumbbell is involved in all of the exercises featured in this app.
You will be asked to provide your current age, weight, and height during the app’s first setup. Then you must specify your target weight loss/gain goal as well as the time frame for achieving it. From the beginning of the setup procedure, you can choose workout regimens based on your gender.
Always be motivated by the notification, which may be customized according to time and days. During the workout, you may also set a rest duration between each move.
This app also offers a 30-day dumbbell workout program.
- Customize your workout routine.
- Professional trainer to guide you with video instructions.
- Voice guidance
- Calorie tracker
- Water intake reminder
- 30-day muscle build challenge.
- Stretching exercises before workouts.
- Daily reminder to keep you motivated.
- Not a great UI.
- Feels lagging while using the app.
- Navigations are a bit confusing.